Thursday, June 16, 2005

WS - A Definition

It has been brought to my attention that I have been using the abbreviation of "WS" without actually explaining what it is!!!

WS stands for Winter Sowing, this is the process of sowing seeds outdoors in the dead of winter in mini greenhouses, creating stronger, more hardy plants to grow in your garden. Lets also not forget the fact that it removes the need for artificial lighting and heating of young seedlings, putting Mother Nature back in control!

Unfortunately it isn't my original idea, it was handed on to me by my friends over at the Garden Talk Forum at BHG.com. It was "our" winter project to see how successful it would actually be and how successful the plants would be once planted into their permanant garden beds

Starting from scratch last year in a new house I wanted to get my gardens growing as quickly and as cheaply as possible, WS was definitely the way to go. Although my garden beds still look very bare as everthing is still in its first year, I have very strong and healthy looking plants that weren't fazed by the late frosts we expereinced here in Upstate NY. I will definitely be WS'ing more seeds come January / February time and I hope that this method really takes of

For a thorough look at the principles of Winter Sowing please, please visit http://www.wintersown.org. Here you will find illustrated instructions, testemonials, photographs of seeds emerging in February (Zone 4!) and lists of seeds that have proved successful using this method

Give it a try, you won't be sorry